- provide access to information and advice which enables parents/carers and their children to make informed decisions
- help to explain the content of reports/letters/draft EHCP
- make telephone calls on parents’ behalf and support them with writing letters
- support parents to arrange meetings with schools and other professionals and attend the meetings with parents if required
- accompany parents/carers on visits to alternative educational settings if required
- liaise with schools, the local authority and other agencies to promote positive relationships with parents, carers and young people
- equip parents, carers, children and young people with the skills and confidence to work with professionals and have their voice heard
- signposting parents, carers, children and young people to other sources of support.
What is SENDIASS?
Are you looking for information, advice or support about matters relating to your child’s special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND)? SENDIASS offers support to parents and carers of children and young people with SEND (0-25) in the Bradford District. We can also support your child or young person to access the service independently.
We are funded by Bradford Council but the service is managed independently by Barnardos. We provide free, confidential and impartial support – which means we do not take sides and we try to ensure that everyone’s views are expressed and heard. We can offer information advice and support by telephone or email, and by more focused methods depending on individual need. To make a referral please contact 01274 513300 or email bradfordSENDIASS@barnardos.org.uk
We can help with:
- SEN Support
- Personal Budgets
We provide a range of regular parent workshops on EHCP and SEN Support, in addition to one off topics. Groups are kept small with a maximum of 8-10 participants for your comfort and to ensure you get the most out of the session. All workshops include a question and answer session with a caseworker which allows you to ask questions specific to your situation.
Due to current Covid19 restrictions, for the time being we are running all parent workshops virtually via zoom (instructions on how to access and all handouts will be emailed beforehand).
For more information and to book see our Eventbrite page: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/bradford-sendiass-26865508299
We run a termly parent steering group made up of current and previous service users. If you are a parent of a child or young person with SEND who has an interest in helping us to monitor, develop and improve our service we would love to hear from you. Your views and experiences are key to ensuring that we are meeting the needs of parents, carers, children and young people. For more information please see leaflet below, or contact Debbie Jowett on 01274 513300.
We support parents with a variety of needs including those with English as a second language and those with limited English. We have Staff and Volunteers and Admin who can speak Urdu and Punjabi, and you can request an Urdu speaking worker when making a referral. We will always try to accommodate these requests, but where this is not possible we use local translation and interpreting company Enable2 to ensure that we can accommodate all local languages.
Some of our information sheets are available in community languages including Czech, Slovak and Polish. We are working on having our information sheets into Urdu and hope to have these available soon.