Mind Your Words
The Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists have developed some free, online training to ‘improve understanding of children and young people who have both mental health needs (or social emotional and mental health needs – SEMH) and speech, language and communication needs (SLCN’).
Contact are offering free workshops in November, please see details below:
- Understanding Sensory Processing Thursday 4th November, 10.00 am - 12.00pm. Click here to book
- Learn more about sensory processing, reflect on your child’s sensory needs and identify new approaches to support you.
- Wellbeing for Parent/Carers Wednesday 10th November, 10.00 am - 12.00pm. Click here to book
- Understand what stress is and how it affects you. Learn about coping mechanisms and each other’s coping styles and identify new ways of coping with stress & reducing your stress levels.
- Encouraging Positive Behaviour Wednesday 24th November, 10.00 am – 12.00pm. Click here to book.
- Understand why children behave the way they do and learn ways to handle difficult situations in a calm, stress-free manner, plus top tips to help.
Contact also offer two types of telephone support, these calls can cover any support or advice that families may need:
ASD 1:1 Telephone support calls with a trained advisor in Autism Spectrum Conditions.
Available for parent carers of children with Autism living in or accessing services in Darlington, Middlesbrough or Redcar & Cleveland
- The advisor will provide support from both a parental and professional point of view.
- The advisor will offer support in communication, behaviour and sleep.
- These are available to book here and updated on a weekly basis.
For those families wanting more general support or advice
1:1 TELEPHONE SUPPORT
- A telephone call-back appointment at a time to suit you with one of our experienced support advisors.
- Available for parent carers of children with a neurodevelopmental need in the Tees Valley area (living in or accessing services in one of the following local authorities: Darlington, Middlesbrough or Redcar & Cleveland).
- Offering support with sleep, behaviour, wellbeing, finances, understanding the diagnosis and transition.
- Our family support advisors are parent/carers themselves and can offer both a parental and professional point of view.
- The family support advisors will offer a space to be heard and listened to.
- The family support advisors are very knowledgeable and can offer you advice and signposting to other local services to meet your needs.
- These are available to book here and are updated regularly.
PRIVATE FACEBOOK GROUP
We have a friendly group on Facebook for parents/carers to join and is updated regularly with information in the South Tees area.
To book for any of the above please visit https://contact-tees.eventbrite.co.uk/ or email firstname.lastname@example.org or call our freephone number on 0800 2540 890 for more information
We are Contact and we are working with Tees Valley Clinical Commissioning Group to offer families living in Darlington, Middlesbrough or Redcar and Cleveland priority access to our FREE Listening Ear Service and Workshops. We are supporting families of children with neurodevelopmental needs.
The Workshops and Listening Ear Service are free. Families simply register through the Eventbrite booking page.
There is a mixture of times in the day and in the evening to suit everyone. Darlington and South Tees Contact Eventbrite Page
We also have a Facebook page, a friendly community where parents carers with disabled children in the area can mutually support each other through the challenges of everyday life. Please click here to join.
Contact helps parents of children with disabilities and special educational needs - whoever they are and whatever their child’s condition. We can help with your most pressing issues, like benefits and education. We guide families through services and offer a listening ear during stressful times. www.contact.org.uk
Find out more by contacting: email@example.com or call our freephone number on
0800 2540 890.
Quotes from parents who have used the service:
“It allowed me to talk about everything that is effecting us as a family and my son's additional needs. It gave me the opportunity to release some of the stress and have routes to explore to help my son rather than feeling helpless and as a result I feel that I was able to engage better with my family as I was more relaxed”
“Shona was brilliant. She understood. combining her knowledge and lived experience she listened to me rant and was my sense checker. She helped me get prospective on my situation.”
“Being able to have a listening ear has given me the confidence that I am doing something right. It was also refreshing to speak to someone that understood how I was feeling. The practical advice and information given is a real help. I am so glad that I decided to book this appointment.”
“An excellent service provided to agents and carers of children with special needs, sometimes you just need someone to listen, understand and point you in the right direction and that is exactly what this service did for me.”