Accessibility Statement
Text size:
Back to Rochdale SENDIASS

Parents and Carers

Parent and Carers

Do you have a child or young person aged 0-25 with SEND? Rochdale SENDiass can support parents and carers to ensure they get impartial, independent advice on matters relating to Education, Health and Social Care. This page includes some useful information that may help answer some of your questions, however, if you can’t find what you are looking for or require further information and support please contact us via the chat facility, phone or email and we will get back to you within two working days. You could also join our Facebook page.

Further Information

Special Educational Needs (“SEN”) can affect a child or young person’s ability to learn.


For example, someone’s SEN might affect their:

For more information please click here to view our resource pack


Further information can be found via the links below:

- Special Education Needs and Disability - A Guide for Parents and Carers

- Supporting Pupils with Medical Conditions

The 'Supporting Pupils with Medical Conditions' above is statutory guidance that schools must follow. It gives clear information on what schools should do to meet the needs of children with medical conditions. 

Where a pupil is identified as having SEN, settings should implement support to prevent them from struggling. 


Settings should:


  • Assess the child's needs

  • Make plans to meet a child's  needs

  • Carry out the plans

  • Review the progress

This is known as the graduated approach.  


Settings must use their ‘best endeavours’ to support children and young people with SEN.  This means doing everything that could reasonably be expected of them.


Funding SEN Support

Information about settings are funded to provide SEN Support can be found by clicking the links below:



Early Years Settings

- Post 16 Settings


Parents of children whose needs are being met through SEN support should be invited to regularly meet with the school SENCO. 


The graduated approach should help parents/carers understand what support is in place and how school are using their SEN budget to support their child. Schools should provide parents/carers with a costed provision map. 


A costed provision map is a document which school should provide to show what provision is in place, when it happens, who delivers it and how much of the SEN Budget each bit of provision costs. 


All mainstream schools have money for special educational needs support and resources. Schools can decide how to spend this money. This is called delegated funding. This part of the school’s income is sometimes called the notional SEN budget.

Funding for SEN provision is from three elements:

Element 1

All schools get money for each pupil at the school. This is called the Age Weighted Pupil Unit (AWPU) and it is part of schools’ delegated funding. Some of this money is to make general SEN provision. This might, for example, include the cost of providing the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) and some other resources.  

The local authority provides Element 1 funding for the schools it is responsible for. The local Schools Forum agrees the formula that determines how much money the school gets for each pupil. The Education Funding Agency provides Element 1 funding for academies and free schools.

For more information please click here to view our resource pack

There are only two reasons a child/young person can be removed from school:

  • Suspension


  • Expulsion


Pupils can only be suspended or expelled for disciplinary reasons: not because a school cannot meet their needs.


‘Informal’ or ‘unofficial’ suspensions, such as sending a pupil home to cool off or the school putting a pupil on a ‘part-time timetable’, are all unlawful regardless of whether they occur with the agreement of parents or carers. 


Unlawful suspension/expulsion of a pupil with a disability may amount to disability discrimination under the Equality Act 2010.

For more information please click here to view our resource pack


The following links provide additional further information:

- Exclusion from School

- Child Law Advice


A part time timetable is anything other than a child attending school full-time.


All pupils of compulsory school age are entitled to a full-time education. In very exceptional circumstances there may be a need for a temporary part-time time table to meet a pupil’s needs.


Younger children who are not of compulsory school age (usually children who are 4 and in reception class) should have the same opportunities as their peers, to attend full-time. 

A part-time timetable must not be treated as a long-term solution.


For more information please click here to view our resource pack


Additional further information can be found by clicking the link below:

- Child Law Advice - Education for children out of school



Local authorities are required to arrange free, suitable, home to school transport for children of compulsory school age who are ‘eligible’, to their nearest suitable qualifying school.


Eligible children fall within four categories, set out in Schedule 35 EA 1996:

  • Children with SEN, a disability or a mobility difficulty
  • Children whose route to school is unsafe
  • Children who live beyond the statutory walking distance
  • Children from low income families


If a child meets the criteria for any one of these categories, they could be entitled to home to school transport. 


For more information please click here to view our resource pack 

An Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) is a legal document which describes a child or young person’s Special Educational Needs, the support they need, and the outcomes they would like to achieve.


An EHCP can only be issued after a child or young person has gone through the process of an EHC Needs Assessment.


The majority of children and young people with SEN or disabilities will have their needs met within local mainstream early years settings, school or colleges; however, some children and young people may require an EHC needs assessment in order for the local authority to decide whether it is necessary to make additional provision. 


If an EHC Needs Assessment takes place, the local authority will make a decision as to whether an EHCP is needed for the child or whether the child's needs can be met in school without it. 


Parents/carers or School can complete an EHCP request. 


For more information please click here to view our resource pack


Further information can be found using the links below:

- SEND Myths


For information about the EHCP process in Rochdale please click the link below:

- Education, Health and Care Plans and Assessments - Rochdale


Once an EHC plan is in place for a child or young person, it is unlikely to remain the same over time. As they grow up, it may become out of date, and they may move to a different school or college. This is why there is a requirement for all EHCP's to be reviewed by the local authority at least annually. This is usually referred to as the annual review.


Parents/carers, children and young people should be involved in the annual review process.  There should be a meeting to attend and other ways for views, wishes and feelings to be heard; such as paperwork to fill out. The annual review is a chance to look at:


  • What is working well?

  • What needs to change?

  • Changes in SEN

  • Preparing for Adulthood (Year 9 onwards)

  • Aspirations


For more information please click here to view our resource pack


For additional further information about annual reviews please click the link below:


- IPSEA - Annual Review


For specific information about the annual review process in Rochdale, and for access to paperwork which should be completed and part of a review in the Rochdale area, please click the link below:


- EHC Assessment and Review Team - Rochdale

SENDiass can provide advocacy support.


Advocacy means getting support from another person to help you express your views and wishes and help you understand and exercise your rights.


SENDiass do not fulfill the role of statutory advocates. A statutory advocate is a different type of advocate than SENDiass. Statutory advocates are advocates who are specially trained to support people under the Mental Health Act, the Mental Capacity Act and the Care Act. 


Further information about statutory advocates can be found by clicking the link below:


- Advocacy in Mental Health


SENDiass can:


  • Listen to your views and concerns

  • Help you explore your options and rights (without pressuring you)

  • Provide information to help you make informed decisions

  • Help you contact relevant people, or contact them on your behalf

  • Accompany you and support you in a meeting


SENDiass will not:


  • Give you their personal opinion (tell you what they think)

  • Solve problems and make decisions for you

  • Make a judgement about you

Parent Carer Voice are a group of volunteer parents and carers who aim to represent the interests of families and young people with additional needs and disabilities across Rochdale, Heywood and Midddleton. 


What Parent Carer Voice Do

  • They enable parents/carers to be resilient and positive through being involved and empowered

  • Provide training and coaching for parents/carers and professionals

  • Sign post to services and share information

  • Positively influence services and practices across the Rochdale borough

  • Enable parents/carers to provide peer to peer support through monthly meetings and PCV social media.


-  01706 358 326




Under One Roof is a new project from The Proud Trust, the home of LGBT+ youth.

This is an online five week project open to parents and carers of LGBT+ young people who would like some support and maybe some questions answered.

They have recently run two lots of sessions with parents and carers in Greater Manchester. They will be running three more over the next year for parents and carers who live in the borough of Rochdale.

In previous sessions, common themes that have been discussed were related to young people who are trans and non-binary, such as change of name, medical transition, the law and mental health.


All parents voiced how important and beneficial it was to them meeting other parents who were in a ‘similar position,’ talking to people who get it’  All parents said that the sessions had helped them better understand the barriers people who are trans and non-binary face. Both groups have now gone on to form a Whatsapp group for continued mutual support.

Although the sessions have been predominantly attended by parents and carers of trans and non-binary young people, they want to emphasise that it is open to anyone with a child who is LGBT+ and would like some support.

To view the poster for more information please click here

Last updated: