What is SENDIASS?
SENDIASS offers support to parents and carers of children and young people with SEND up to 25 years in Gateshead. We can also support children or young people to access the service independently, and can advise professionals on queries about SEN policy and provision.
We are funded by Gateshead Council but the service is managed independently by Barnardo's. We provide free, confidential and impartial support – which means we do not take sides and we try to ensure that everyone’s views are expressed and heard. We can offer information advice and support by telephone or email, and by more focused methods depending on individual need.
We can help with:
- SEN Support
- Personal Budgets
The role of SENDIASS workers – how can we help?
- provide access to information and advice which enables parents/carers and their children to make informed decisions
- help to explain the content of reports/letters/draft EHCP
- make telephone calls on parents’ behalf and support them with writing letters
- support parents to arrange meetings with schools and other professionals and attend the meetings with parents if required
- accompany parents/carers on visits to alternative educational settings if required
- liaise with schools, the local authority and other agencies to promote positive relationships with parents, carers and young people
- equip parents, carers, children and young people with the skills and confidence to work with professionals and have their voice heard
- signposting parents, carers, children and young people to other sources of support