Accessibility Statement
Text size:
Back to Bury SENDIASS

Parents and Carers

Parents and Carers

Do you have a child or young person aged 0-25 with SEND? Bury SENDiass can support parents and carers to ensure they get impartial, independent advice on matters relating to Education, Health and Social Care. This page includes some useful information that may help answer some of your questions, however, if you can’t find what you are looking for or require further information and support please contact us via the chat facility, phone or email and we will get back to you within two working days. You could also join our Facebook page.


Further Information

Special Educational Needs (“SEN”) can affect a child or young person’s ability to learn.


For example, someone’s SEN might affect their:


For further information please click here to view our resource pack


Further information can also be found using the links below:


The 'Supporting Pupils with Medical Conditions' above is statutory guidance that schools must follow. It gives clear information on what schools should do to meet the needs of children with medical conditions. 

Where a pupil is identified as having SEN, settings should implement support to prevent them from struggling. 


Settings should:

  • Assess the child's needs
  • Make plans to meet a child's  needs
  • Carry out the plans
  • Review the progress


This is known as the graduated approach.  


Settings must use their ‘best endeavours’ to support children and young people with SEN.  This means doing everything that could reasonably be expected of them.


Funding SEN Support

Information about settings are funded to provide SEN Support can be found by clicking the links below:


  • Schools  -  click here


  • Early Years Settings - click here


  • Post 16 Settings - click  here


Parents of children whose needs are being met through SEN support should be invited to regularly meet with the school SENCO. 


The Graduated Approach should help parents understand what support is in place and how school are using their SEN budget to support their child. Schools should provide parents with a costed provision map.


A costed provision map is a document which school should provide to show what provision is in place, when and how often it happens, who delivers it and how much of the SEN Budget each bit of provision costs. 


For more information please click here to view our resource pack

There are only two reasons why a child cannot attend school: suspension and expulsion.


Pupils can only be suspended/expelled for disciplinary reasons: not because a school cannot meet their needs.


‘Informal’ or ‘unofficial’ suspensions, such as sending a pupil home to cool off or the school putting a pupil on a ‘part-time timetable’, are all unlawful regardless of whether they occur with the agreement of parents or carers. 


Unlawful suspension/expulsion of a pupil with a disability may amount to disability discrimination under the Equality Act 2010.


For further information please click here to view our resource pack


The following links provide additional further information:


A part time timetable is anything other than a child attending school full-time.


All pupils of compulsory school age are entitled to a full-time education. In very exceptional circumstances there may be a need for a temporary part-time time table to meet a pupil’s needs.


Younger children who are not of compulsory school age (usually children who are 4 and in reception class) should have the same opportunities as their peers, to attend full-time. 

A part-time timetable must not be treated as a long-term solution.


Local authorities are required to arrange free, suitable, home to school transport for children of compulsory school age who are ‘eligible’, to their nearest suitable qualifying school.


Eligible children fall within four categories, set out in Schedule 35 EA 1996:

  • Children with SEN, a disability or a mobility difficulty
  • Children whose route to school is unsafe
  • Children who live beyond the statutory walking distance
  • Children from low income families


If a child meets the criteria for any one of these categories, they could be entitled to home to school transport. 

An Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) is a legal document which describes a child or young person’s special educational needs, the support they need, and the outcomes they would like to achieve.


An EHCP can only be issued after a child or young person has gone through the process of an EHC Needs Assessment.


The majority of children and young people with SEN or disabilities will have their needs met within local mainstream early years settings, school or colleges; however, some children and young people may require an EHC needs assessment in order for the Local Authority to decide whether it is necessary to make additional provision. 


If an EHC Needs Assessment takes place, the LA will make a decision as to whether an EHCP is needed for the child or whether the child's needs can be met in school without it. 


Further information can be found using the links below:

Once an EHC plan is in place for a child or young person, it is unlikely to remain the same over time. As they grow up, it may become out of date, and they may move to a different school or college.


This is why there is a requirement for all EHCP's to be reviewed by the Local Authority at least annually. This is usually referred to as the Annual Review.


Parents/carers, children and young people should be involved in the annual review process. There should be a meeting to attend and other ways for views, wishes and feelings to be heard; such as paperwork to fill out. The annual review is a chance to look at:

  • What is working well?

  • What needs to change?

  • Changes in SEN

  • Preparing for Adulthood (Year 9 onwards)

  • Aspirations


For more information please click here to view our resource pack


For additional further information about annual reviews please click the link below: 

SENDiass can provide advocacy.  


Advocacy means getting support from another person to help you express your views and wishes and help you understand and exercise your rights.


SENDiass do not fulfill the role of statutory advocates. A statutory advocate is a different type of advocate than SENDiass. Statutory advocates are advocates who are specially trained to support people under the Mental Health Act, the Mental Capacity Act and the Care Act. 


Further information about Statutory Advocates can be found by clicking the link below:


SENDiass can:

  • listen to your views and concerns
  • help you explore your options and rights (without pressuring you)
  • provide information to help you make informed decisions
  • help you contact relevant people, or contact them on your behalf
  • accompany you and support you in a meeting


SENDiass will not:

  • give you their personal opinion (tell you what they think)
  • solve problems and make decisions for you
  • make a judgement about you

BURY2GETHER is a forum for parent/carers of young people (aged 0-25) with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) who access services in Bury.

BURY2GETHER aims to work with education, social care, health and other services to ensure parent/carer voices are represented, when designing services for children/young people and their families. 

You can sign up as a member at to:

  • Socialise with other parent/carers

  • Shape future services in Bury and be involved in the latest SEND consultation

  • Find activities and services, information share and access workshops and training sessions
    Find out about our regular family events, coffee mornings, wellbeing sessions and clubs 

  • Or simply to enjoy the posts, and join in the chats on our Social Media.

Facebook information page:


Facebook group chat parents/carers only):






BURY2GETHER are hosting a number of online questions and answer sessions with Bury services for parent/carers.

For more information please visit the BURY2GETHER website.


The Bury Directory

Last updated: